August 2019 Council Message
Each August we look to the Supreme Convention and all the news about the prior fraternal year. Although this message has been prepared prior to the convention, here are some predictions:
- The Order will set a new record in the amount of money we donated to charities.
- The Order will set another record in the number of hours volunteered.
- We already know that our insurance program had another record year ending last December with 18 consecutive years of growth; thanks to the many of you who protected your families and helped set that record!
- We will have given a substantial amount of money to Pope Francis from the Vicarius Christi fund.
- Our Asset Advisors will have more dollars under management; administered using the investment guidelines from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- We will add to our surplus; which means our strength to pay claims and weather poor economic times will improve.
- The Supreme Knight will report that the Order will have provided more money to rebuild homes for persecuted Christians in the Middle East, donated more money to disaster relief in the wake of hurricanes, floods and typhoons, and placed more ultrasound machines in service to save lives. The Order will have given more support for religious freedom.
This organization started by a simple, humble parish priest with men at St. Mary’s Parish in New Haven, Connecticut in 1882 has grown to spectacular heights. All these efforts and worthwhile projects are a source of pride for us members.
For the Catholics in this council and in our parishes—you, my brother knights, are the Knights of Columbus. When people think about us, they may have some general notion about all the good works we do and the Order’s amazing impact around the world. But to the local parish and the community, you represent all that is good in this Order. When you are volunteering at a Special Olympics event, when you are visiting the sick, helping your pastor, handing out coats for kids, selling Tootsie Rolls, raising money for a charitable cause right here in your own backyard—this is what people see. They see you. To them you are what it means to be a Knight of Columbus. When you lead with faith, protect your family, serve others and defend your values, you are a witness inspired by our founding principles.
Congratulations for another record-breaking fraternal year. I look forward to helping protect your families and reaching Star Council this next fraternal year.